Thursday 26 July 2012

Shut Up! The Olympics are coming.

We are 24 hours away from the Olympics being held here for the first time since 1948 and I have one thing to say SHUT UP!!!. I dont care if you have absolutley no interest in the Games, I dont care if you wish to moan about every little thing just do me a favour and SHUT UP!. I dont want to hear how long it took you to get home, how hot the tube is, how they are a waste of money. Some of us are actually looking forward to them. I will have to travel through Stratford twice a day during the whole of the Olympics and Im looking forward too it. I will have to travel on the circle line which is bad at the best of times and is host to at least four different Olympic events, but I dont care at all. Im embracing it. I get a sense of pride when I see the volunteers in their freshly pressed uniforms getting on the tube. I wish I was one of them. I smile freely when I see the athletes passing through Paddington station. I enjoy directing the tourists that are coming into my shop and asking questions as they are lost in a strange town. I got up at 6.30am last Sunday. With my four kids, my wife, my mum and her mate we stood with hundreds of other people in the sunshine and watched the torch go past. It was brilliant and my kids are still talking about it and telling evryone about it a week later. That is waht its all about for me. The Olympics is actually something we are GOOD at. Something where we arent watching footballers who kiss the badge and profress love for a club then run off to the highest bidder the first chance they get. These are actually men and women who are competing because they love what they do. Yes they are well rewarded but not to the level of other sports. Its going to be a typicaly British event, it will rain, we will get things wrong, we will get lots of things right but please for the love of god SHUT UP, if you dont have any interest in them. There are a lot of people who do and who will enjoy every second of them. People will make memories to share with thier children for a lifetime, this is one of the things Im most looking forward to. The I was there conversation 20 years from now. Im looking forward to them, I have goosebumps when I talk about them, they are 24 hrs away and I for one cannot wait.So do me a favour if you dont agree SHUT UP theres a good chap.

3 comments:

  1. Bang on fellow Dagger!!

    Arnu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piece mate and I couldn't agree more!

    Paul I (another fellow dagger)

    ReplyDelete