Wednesday 26 April 2017

Honey

I never had a pet as a kid, I had too many allergies, so I swore when I got older I would, if I got the chance have a dog. Honey came into our family on the 11th June 2012, my eldest daughters birthday, we all instantly fell in love with her she was that kind of dog.

Before I had a pet I couldn't understand how upset people got when the animal passed. They don't live as long as us, you know that when you get them, so why so upset when they pass? Well now I know why and its devastating.

Honey was a lively dog to say the least, she would do exactly what she wanted and sod what you thought, if you threw a ball for her to chase she would look at you, look at where the ball had landed, look back at you and not move an inch. If you told her not to get on the settee she would get up climb behind you and wrap herself around your neck and shoulders because she could. If you told her off she would wait till you were asleep and then take a dump in the house, waiting for you to find it, it was her way of getting back at you. It was like having another teenager in the house, all the ignoring and sulking, added with the laughs and love that came with it. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

The amount of times she would run out the house so you would have to chase her, it was all a game to her. She loved my kids and they loved her, she would lay on her back when they came in so as they would make a fuss of her and she never tired to hurt them. You could call her name for ages and she would ignore you, yet open the fridge and there she was, sitting down waiting for scraps.

Numerous times I've sat at the table and she has then pulled a chair out, got on it and sat opposite me watching me eat. If I ignored her she would come and sit on my chest blocking my view of the telly so as I would have to pay attention to her. Yet I wont do any of that anymore because she's gone.

I remember the last time I saw her well, I stroked her and told her I loved her and she licked my face as my daughters took her for a walk. She was struck by a car on her walk, it wasn't any ones fault, but unfortunately she didn't make it. I knew taking her to the Vets that night that she we were going to lose her, I prayed she would make it, I would have given anything for her to still be here, but I could hear and see the pain she was in. I kissed her again and I hope she knew I was there as I told her I loved her.

Coming home yesterday was awful, as I opened the front door I knew she wasn't there but I hoped she was, shaking her back the way she always did when she got excited to see you, Id come in and kneel down and make a fuss of her, shed lick my face, and then wed sit on the settee together. I sat and cried for 10 minutes solid, I looked at her basket, her toys and knew shed never used them again.

I know deep in my heart we did the right thing, we would have remortgaged our house for her to have a life but the Vet said she wouldn't have nay quality of life and be in pain. I didn't want that for my girl. Ill miss her more than anything, Ill never get over coming home and her not being here, or going into the kitchen and her not being by the back door waiting to go out. Walking through the woods wont be the same anymore.

One day soon we may get another dog, I think we will have to, to fully move on. If she had, had her full life I wouldn't even be considering it, but because of the way she passed, I don't feel complete, I feel cheated. We were supposed to grow old together Honey and you are not here to do that anymore.

I loved Honey with all my heart, as we all did, she was part of my family and I would have done anything to protect her and make her safe, as she would have done for me. The tears still flow, and will for a while yet, the pain will fade with time and another dog my take her place but they wont be Honey. There will never be another dog like her.

As I write this I'm picturing her sitting beside me wandering what I'm doing, as she usually did when it was just the two of us, waiting for a treat, waiting for a walk or just waiting for a kiss on her snout and me telling her I loved her.

I shall miss her for as long as I live, she was my one in a million and she was my very special girl. I hope she's happy where she is now, chasing cats and doing exactly what she wants. We as a family would like to thank everyone for their kind words, it has been read and means the world to us all.

Honey, I love you girl I hope you knew that.

No comments:

Post a Comment