Saturday 7 August 2010

Twilight Film Versus Book

Okay  confession  time  I  am  a  37  year  old  male  married  father  of  4  and  I  like  Twilight.  There  you  go  Ive  said  it.  I  am  a  huge fan  of  the  books. They  are  what  I  call  an  eye  closer.  What  I  mean  by  this  is  I  read  them  until  I  cant  read  them  anymore.  I  have  read  three  of  them  in  3 weeks  and  I  cant  get  enough  of  them.  I  haven't  read  books  like  this  since  Harry  Potter.

They  are  very  well  written,  they  drag  you  in  and  the  stories  are  superb.  They  allow  you  to  use  your  own  imagination.  They  are  simply  fantastic  and  I  highly  recommend  them.  The  astonishing  thing as  well  is  that  they  have  been  written  in  the  past  5  years.  An  amazing  piece  of  writing  and  full  credit  to  Stephenie  Meyer  for  her  work.

However  I  have  a  slight  issue  with  Twilight  and  its  not  the  authors  fault  by  any  stretch  of  the  imagination.  Its  Hollywood  and  the  way  the  films  of  the  books  have  been  made.  To  be  fair  they do  absolutely  no  justice  to  the  books  at  all.  It  appeared  rushed  to  me  if  I'm  honest.  The  main characters  Edward  and  Bella  were  spot  on  just  as  Id  imagined  them  to  be,  as  were  all  of  the  Cullen's  and  Billy  and  Jacob.  Victoria  was as  well.  But  James and  Lauren  weren't  neither  was  Charlie  or  her  school  friends.

That  wasn't  the  only  problem  I  had  with  it  either.  The  storyliue  was  missing  the  tension,  the  conflict  that  Bella  goes  through  as  well  as  the  campfire  on  the  beach,  the  upturned  tree  and  the  fight  at  the  end.  It  appeared  they  were  rushing  through  it  in  a  series  of  tick  box  exercises  on  a  shoe  string  budget.

When  you  look  at  the  Harry  Potter  films  and  the  money  and  how  closely  they  follow the  script  it  was  a  major  disappointment.  If  I'm  honest  if  I  hadn't  read  the  books  first  I  wouldn't  have  read  them  at  all  after watching  the  films.  What  a  wasted  opportunity.  How  much  I  would  have  missed  out  on  from  the  books. I  understand  that  a  film cannot  follow  a  book  its  a  different  medium  but  surely  if  you  are going  to  do  something  that  means  so  much  to  so  many  people,  take  the  time,  spend  the  money  and  do  it  properly  surely.

It  happens  time  and  time  again  that  really  good  books  are  given  the  Hollywood  treatment  and  are rubbish.  The  only  exceptions  to  this  that  I  can  think  of  are  The  Shawshank  Redemption,  which  was  a  Steven  King  short  story  and  is  my  second  favourite  film  of  all  time,  the  first  will  be another  blog,  and  The  Green  Mile.  If  Ive  missed  any  let  me  know  in  the  comments  below.

So  I'm a  massive  fan  off  the  books  just  not  the  films.  I  guess  Ill  have  to  wait  20 years  until  someone  remakes  them  to  be  the  films  they  should  have  been  the  first  time  around,  A  huge  shame  and  a  massive  missed  oppurtunity  that  I  hope  they  are  regretting  massively  becasue I  feel  they  wont  stand  the  test  of  time  like  Harry  Potter  will.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the books are superb; but I love the films too. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that some parts of the films work better than in the books. I expect to be struck by lightning for saying something so heretical. (Specifically, I think the better parts in the films are Edward's call and the Volturi fight in New Moon, and the chase scenes in Eclipse.)

    If it's not too far to travel, I sense you need to come to my Twilight book club. I'll send you an invitation on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete