Friday 1 December 2017

Sammy and the missing Reindeer part 6






"Bonjour Sammy, its good to meet you" Said a young Elf standing in front of me as I got off of the Van of Dreams.

"Its good to meet you too Gabriel" I said shaking his hand.

He was a little taller than me, his black hair spiked on the top of his head, gold rimmed glasses covered his pale blue eyes. He was wearing a dark blue parker coat zipped up just under his chin, his other hand stuffed into the pocket of his jeans. Behind him I could see the Eifel Tower shooting up towards the sky. Bright lights ran down the length of it, it looked incredible in the setting sunlight, I had always wanted to climb to the top of it but that would have to wait for now, we had other things that needed dealing with first.

"Are you all here?" He asked looking behind me as the others approached. Jacob was just making sure the Van of Dreams was cloaked properly with Reece, the others were yawning and stretching, tired after what we had been through, the adrenalin beginning to wear off.

"Yes apart from Liam, who wanted to stay and help John make sure that Comet and Prancer were okay and stayed calm. I'm sure they will, I think it was more him wanting to be of use rather than anything else to be honest" I said releasing his hand from our firm handshake.

"Excellent, we've located the Reindeer already, it wasn't as hard as we thought which worries me a little to be honest. This seems a little too easy. They are in a building a few minutes from here, our spy Louis has been in contact to say that they are in good shape and are being looked after. He says that it shouldn't be too hard to get them back, but he has also said to be cautious as he has a feeling they are waiting for us".

"I agree, we were surprised as you that you found them so quickly. It doesn't make sense really after all the effort we had to go to in Tokyo".

"How is Hiriam? Well I hope?" He started to shale the hands of the others as they joined us.

"Yes she's fine and send her regards" I smiled. Hiriam had spent the last few hours interrogating the Leprechaun's we had captured along with the Reindeer, hoping to get as much information out of them as possible. She was passing this along as and when she got it. It was through Hiriam that we had made contact so quickly with Gabrielle and he had updated us on our way here.

"Excellent we did our initial training together a long time ago, I must answer my emails more often that is very remiss of me. Unfortunately we wont be able to go until it gets a lot darker tonight though, I know you have a time scale too meet but there is no way we can get into that area until then its far too dangerous, do you understand?" He looked around him to make sure we were all ready to move from the roof.

"Yes I'm afraid I do" I said sadly gesturing for him to lead the way, Reece and Jacob were making there way towards us, it was getting cold up here and I was keen to move inside

"Louis managed to infiltrate the Leprechaun's gang over the past few months, no easy task I might add they are extremely cautious of anyone showing an interest in them, so his information is very reliable. We knew they were up to something, they had been asking around about empty properties for a few months now. Louis agreed to go undercover and try and  make sure that we were in front of whatever it was they were doing. For now let us rest, we have arranged food and drink for you all, please follow me". He started to walk towards a door at the far side of the roof.

We had landed on top of a block of flats in the middle of Paris, the cloaking device that Jacob and Reece had developed allowed us to land with no one knowing we were here. We were invisible to all air traffic control and also any airplanes that we happened to come across our flight path. Paris is a very busy city and the last thing we wanted was for people to start reporting they had seen a flying Van shooting across the sky. The element of surprise in regards to the Leprechaun's was gone now, Carl knew we were coming, and he would now plan accordingly, however we couldn't allow anyone else to know it, whether that be human or for the word to get back to the village at the North Pole. That would leave to far to many awkward question's and we had enough going on right now.

"All done" said Reece joining us as we walked along the roof. The sounds of the streets below working their way up to us, although no one of us were brave enough to look over the side to see what was going on. "Its cold isn't it?" He said pulling the collar of his coat tighter around his neck.

"Sure is" said Jacob putting the key for the Van of Dreams back in his pocket securely

"Will Liam be okay?" asked Jack he had been very quiet since we had left Tokyo, Emily had spoken to him on the Van of Dreams and whatever was said between would stay between them Jack needed reassurance now and Emily was the best person to give it.

"Absolutely" she said putting her arm around his shoulder. He smiled at her and carried on walking.

"So tell us again how you did it" said Michael to William, they had gone over it again and again on the way here, Michael and Billy constantly asking for details of William's attack on the Leprechaun's and William taking great delight in retelling it. I would let them have their moment of fun for a little while longer but then they would need to focus on what we had to do next.

We followed Gabriel through a door off of the roof and into a stairway, grey metal steps in front of us and white painted walls that were well lit with round lights on the walls, and it was certainly warmer than the roof. We followed him down three flights of stairs and through another door into a corridor. The floor was carpeted in a beige carpet that felt soft under our feet after the cold metal of the stairs, black numbered doors ran the length of the corridor and we followed Gabriel half way down when he stopped suddenly and knocked on a door with a brass number six on it.

He smiled at us as we waited for the door to open, we were standing there nervously, not sure what to expect when suddenly the door flung open and there stood an elderly lady, greying hair, glasses on a chain around her neck, a smile as wide as any I had ever seen spreading across her pale smooth skin and teeth as white as ivory on a piano. She lent forward and grabbed Gabriel pulling him into her chest and rocking him from side to side, with what looked like us a hug that was going to squeeze the life out of him if she didn't let go in a minute.

"Ah Gabriel, Bonjour, are they here? Where are your friends? I have so much food for them? You said they were coming, ah there they are, wonderful, wonderful, please come in, come in let me feed you, you look so hungry and tired" she still hadn't let go of Gabriel and he was desperately trying to remove himself whilst we stood there a little shocked but greatly amused at the greeting he had received.

She pulled Gabriel into the flat and left us standing outside looking at each other not sure what to do next. Emily shrugged her shoulders and looked at me for an answer. I didn't want to appear rude by walking in so I just stood there looking at the empty door way.

"Do we go in?" Asked William quietly

"I'm not sure" I replied peering through the door way and into the hallway. There was a dark carpeted floor, a mirror on one wall and a picture of Elvis in a white spandex suit on the other, a scarf around his neck and a huge gold chain hanging down against his chest.

"Well she did mention food" said Tommy edging slowly through door when suddenly she reappeared grabbed him and disappeared inside again

"Now what?" Emily asked as surprised as the rest of us at what was happening.

"Well if we don't go in there, the chances are she's going to pick us off one by one so Jack off you go" said Jacob pushing him gently forwards

Jack was digging his heels in, not wanting to volunteer for this one but Jacob being bigger and older than Jack was winning this one.

"I think we should wait" said Billy looking for support

"I agree" said Michael nodding vigorously, so much for being head of security I though to myself

"Come on what are you waiting for?" Tommy said coming to the door eating the biggest chicken drumstick Id ever seen there's enough food in here for the whole of Paris and with that he was gone again

"I am hungry"said Reece as he slowly edged through the door, the others slowly followed him with me being last and closing the door gently behind me,

The smell was out of this world, roast chicken, roast potato's, stuffing, bacon, I couldn't process the smells quick enough, my mouth started to water, I hadn't realised it had been so long since we had last eaten. After leaving Tokyo we had been so focused on getting here that we had forgotten to eat. Even Tommy hadn't moaned about being hungry and that wasn't like him at all.

"Ah the Sammy come, come, sit, sit"the lady who had grabbed Gabriel was gently pushing me forward and removing my coat at the same time. The others were taking seats along the table in front of us which was heaving under the weight of the food on it. Mashed potato, roast lamb, beef, chicken, peas, carrots, corn on the cob, buttered crusty bread, pigs in blankets it was never ending. Tommy was disappearing behind a mountain of food, Emily was passing plates of food along to the others and Gabriel was sitting there watching us all and smiling to himself.

Coming out of the kitchen was another lady with light blonde hair a red piny around her waist and plates of food in each hand. "

"There's plenty more where that came from"she said placing it down on the table. "Now sit down please and eat. Who wants gravy?" she said holding a ladle and a huge mug in her hand.

"Do you have tomato sauce?" Asked Reece nervously

"For you of course my darling came the reply"as she smiled and placed the plates of food down on the table and disappeared back into the kitchen

 "Do they have enough Margaret? Carol why is she not answering me? Why is everybody so quiet?"Came the voice from the kitchen.

" They have their mouths full that's why Carole!" replied  the one called Margaret

"Well tell them to hurry up and eat we have loads more in here" came the reply

Carol returned with a huge bottle of tomato sauce and we watched as her and the one called Margret continued to pile our plates high with food, asking if it was okay and did we have enough, not waiting for us to reply before they piled on even more hot food. Carole, tall and slim with short white hair, a red piny the same as the other two appeared from the kitchen with the biggest cream cake I had ever seen. It was covered in strawberries and looked amazing.

"This is for afters" she said moving some plates out of the way. "Now come on eat up and make sure you leave some room"

They stood their the three of them, faces wide with smiles, the more we ate the happier they seemed to be. Reece, Jacob, Jack and Tommy were doing their best to please them, spooning as much food into their mouths as they possibly could. Emily was finishing off the last of the roast potato's, Billy and Michael has started on the cake and William, well he had started to tell the ladies about how he had saved the day in Tokyo. They smiled and clapped and seemed to be enthralled in his story.

 "Welcome to the home of the three Nannies, were quite safe here no one will find us and we thought you could do with some refreshment before we leave tonight. Its best if you eat as much as you can, because they will keep on at you until they think you cant take anymore. Oh and if they start playing Elvis and the spoons come out just humour them okay?"Gabrielle laughed

"Here the Sammy eat please don't be shy" Margaret said placing a massive plate of chicken, roast potato's and vegetables in front of me. I had been so busy watching the others eat I had forgotten to get a plate myself.

"Thank you" I replied picking up a knife and fork. It was some of the best food I had ever eaten. I couldn't get it down quick enough, Gabriel's Nan's, I didn't ask why he had three is just  seemed rude to ask too be honest and they all seemed so happy to see us eating their food, they had taken a real shine to Tommy who just kept eating and eating and the more he ate the more they all smiled and clapped their hand's together and smiled at each other.

Gabriel found this highly amusing and kept laughing and shaking his head.

"They wont let him leave if he doesn't slow down"he laughed.

"Non, Non, Non, don't say things like that Gabriel they are our guests let them eat if they wish after all there is plenty to go around" Carol smiled and patted Tommy on the back who just kept on eating.

We all laughed, a little light relief ahead of what we were about to do wouldn't go amiss and we finished our meal grateful for the hospitality and food.

"Merci" I said taking the Nan's hands in turn and gently kissing them.

" Ah you are family no need for the practicalities" Margaret said grabbing me pulling me into a hug that nearly smothered me. I was then passed onto the other two, Carol smothering me in kisses on my cheeks and Carole making sure I looked presentable after she had hugged and kissed me.

I finally broke free and made my way to the others were waiting outside for me when I eventually managed to break free.

"Enjoy that?" asked Emily smiling and gently rubbing my back

 "They are some woman Ill give them that" I said laughing and rubbing my cheek to make sure the lipstick was defiantly gone.

"My Nan's love having people to cook for, I hope you didn't mind?" Gabriel asked

"Mind? I've never been so full" said Tommy patting his belly

 "Well that's okay then, now its time for us to go and get the Reindeer back!" Gabrielle said pressing the button for the lift and waiting for it to appear.

 "Where do we need to go?"  I asked

"Not far from here to be honest" Gabriele said stepping into the left as it appeared It'll only take us a few minutes to get there.

"Good we need to get this one done as quickly as possible" I said as we began to squeeze into the lift. The doors closing behind us.

 "What the hell was that?" asked Jacob alarmed all of a sudden

 "What?" Reece asked looking up at the ceiling

"My leg just went warm!" he replied shocked

"Oh  god no!" said William holding his nose

"Tommy!!!" we all cried out as the smell hit us

 "Sorry" he replied trying not to laugh and failing badly

By the time the lift got to the ground floor we were all gasping for air, the smell was awful and no one of us had dared to breathe. Tommy was holding his sides laughing to himself highly amused at the discomfort he had caused us.

"Where do we go from here?" I asked Gabriel trying to change the subject

He held his phone in front of him looking at the screen.

"Its a 2 minute walk from here" he said walking towards the glass doors that led onto the street

"Lets go then" I  said walking with him and waving at the others to follow us. Jacob was telling Tommy that he didn't find it funny, but that just made Tommy laugh even more.

We started to walk through the streets of Paris, the evening air fresh on our faces helping to cool us after the warmth of the flat. Some of the shops still open, as people mingled about going about their business. Some sat at tables outside of coffee shops sipping from small cups of coffee talking to their friends deep in conversation. The roads had light traffic on them, the odd taxi passing us bye as we walked briskly to where we needed to go. Gabriel stopped abruptly in front of me and held his hand up for us to wait.

"What's the matter?" I asked

"The door is open" he said pointing across the street

"Do  you think they've left? How quickly would they have found out about Tokyo? We tied them up pretty good, and Hiriam was interrogating them, but obviously Carl left us that message when John touched the box. Do you think they've left them alone?  asked William

"I don't know I" replied cautiously I didn't like this but the food in my belly was numbing my senses a little and I wasn't as cautious as perhaps I should have been.

"Well there's no point waiting here to find out" said Billy "Come on Michael lets get on with it."

 "Guys wait!!" Emily called but it was too late they were already across the street.

We raced after them just as they went through the door, their were no lights on so it was difficult to make out what was in there. Jacob turned on a torch and began to shine it around the room. It was a vast open space, no tables, no chairs, nothing just empty space. A ceiling as high as any I had ever seen, it looked like the factory at the North Pole but without the machines and people milling around it. The walls were concrete with the odd puddle dotted around, strip lights ran the length of the ceiling, but I couldn't see a light switch anywhere as Jacob continued to scan the room. He settled on some movement in the far corner, and my eyes began to focus on a bale of hay and as we looked closer we could see the Reindeer bunched up in the corner.

"Lets be careful" I said slowly edging through the room, Jacob in front the others following me closely behind. I could see the Reindeer looking at me, their eyes shining brightly from the reflection of the light, but unless I got closer I wouldn't be able to see their faces clearly, all I could make out is what looked like someone had covered their mouths with some tape to stop them from talking. Why would someone do that I thought as I suddenly felt myself being lifted off of the ground at a great pace and feeling myself thrown into the air. I closed my eyes and waited for the fall that was inevitable but it didn't happen. I could feel the others landing on me and something harsh brushing on my face. I opened my eyes to see we were all inside of a giant net and below us laughing at us were four Leprechaun's.

We hadn't been careful enough and now were in real trouble.

To be continued.............................





No comments:

Post a Comment