Wednesday 9 June 2010

Things Parents Say Now and Then

Its finally happened, I am turning into my dad.  I have found myself saying things to my kids that he used to say to me when I was a kid. We all do it when we have kids don't we? The only difference is the examples change, so keeping that in mind here are the top 10 things I have said to my kids recently and what my dad said to me when I was a kid. Enjoy.

When I was a kid.........

1970's
We never had a phone in the house, we had to go round their house and knock to see if they were in. If we were lucky the lady down the street would let us use her phone. Why do you need to use the phone you are 10?

2000's
We never had mobile phones, if we wanted to call our friends we would have to go to the phone box at the end of the street and put money in it to call people. Why do you need a mobile you are 10?

When I was a kid.......

1970's
We only had 2 TV channels and they went of at 11pm. Why do you want to watch TV now? Get out into the garden and get some fresh air in your lungs.

2000's
We never had Sky in my day we only had 4 TV channels and they went of at 12pm. You spend too much time watching TV. Get outside and get some air in your lungs.

When I was a kid......

1970's
If we didn't get to see it at the time we missed it so why do you want a video recorder for?

2000's
No you cant put it on  series link you'll fill the sky plus box up. We had to use videotapes and then they used to chew the tape up so we never got to see it anyway.

When I was kid......

1970's
Call that music? Where's the words, the tune how you supposed to sing to that? They are now Frank Sinatra are they?That racket is bloody awful turn it off.

2000's
This Ga Ga bird that ain't music. Duran Duran now there was a band, could all play an instrument and the song had word's and a tune. Poker face my eye whats she want you to do that for?

When I was a kid.........

1970's
We played with proper football boots. Real leather they were and you had to sit in the bath for a week with them on to soften them up. We had to rub dubbin into them as well all the time.

2000's
Pink boots? Pink boots, what on earth do you want them for? My first boots came out of a bargain bin and I was lucky to get them I'm not paying £100 for them I can tell you.

When I was a kid.......

1970's
At Christmas I got an orange and a piece of coal if I was lucky and I made that last for a week as well.

2000's
I used to look through the catalogue and was allowed to choose I thing and that was it. Not like now, your list looks like a Toys r Us stockroom.

When I was a kid......

1970's
We never had computer games we made our own games with paper and string and if we were lucky a piece of chalk.

2000's
I had a spectrum 48k. 4 hours I used to wait for those games to load, changing the tape over half way through only for it to stop before it was complete. Did I moan oh no, I just got on and did it again. You don't know how lucky you are having that PS3 thingy.


When I was a kid.......

1970's
I used to get my hair cut by your nan, she used to stick a bowl on my head and cut round it and you want £2 for a haircut, go and see your nan she'll do it for free.

2000's
We never spent more than £5 on a haircut. How did that mess just cost me £30? Next time go and see your nan she'll do it for nothing.

When I was a kid.......

1970's
I used to have to walk everywhere, we didn't have money for the bus, your lucky we can afford the bus fare so here's 10p and be back by 6pm for your dinner.


2000's
We had to get the bus everywhere, in the rain and snow we used to stand there for hours waiting for the bus to arrive, we never moaned either. When did I become a taxi service? Do you know how much petrol costs nowadays? Here's a few quid for your oyster and be done with you.

When I was a kid......

1970's
We never had the luxury of hot water for a bath. One a week we were allowed and then we had to share the water after all your Uncle's had been in it.

2000's
We never had a shower in my day. We had to wait for the bath water to heat up, not like now you turn on the tap and there's the hot water. Now get in it and stop wasting water!

There are obviously hundreds more but these were my favourites. If you want to add any post them in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment