Sunday 6 February 2011

The Love Of My Life.....




Today is our 15th Wedding anniversary.As I sit here happy memories wash though my mind.
Its been many years since we first met, I'm a little older, a little greyer, but you still look as beautiful as you did the day I met you. I can remember it like it was yesterday. A walk in a park on a summers day, the sun shining brightly, a can of pop in my hand, the headphones playing my latest favourite track in my ears. Then I saw you, sitting there on the bench reading a book you took my breath away. You wore a light pink summers dress and your brown hair was tied back in a ponytail, your sunglasses perched on top of your head, I knew I had to talk to you but what did I say?. I would get one chance at this, no more. I noticed the book you was reading, the latest bestseller, Id read that and knew it was my opening.

We chatted for a while and I made you laugh, you later told me you were fascinated by my cheek at approaching you, we went for a drink, spending the day getting to know each other better, that evening we went for a meal and we never parted. We chose our home, renting at first, it was small and cramped, but we made it home. Spending all the spare cash we had buying the things we needed to make it ours. We saved our money spending most nights in watching telly and cuddling on the sofa, you falling asleep on my lap more often than not, until we had enough to buy our own place.

You cried with joy when you first saw it, the tears of happiness slowly worked their way down your smooth skin, I brushed them away as best I could smiling as I did so as I knew what it meant to you. We lived in the bedroom for the first 6 months so as we could get the place just the way we wanted it. Every room was a different colour, soft pastels ran through the house, the wooden floors polished just how you wanted them. It took a while but we did it in the end. When it was finished we lived there happily for a number of years and then I took the plunge.

I waited until I had arranged the perfect day. We got up had breakfast, the sun was shining and we went for a walk in the park. We found our bench where we had first met and sat there eating the ice-creams we had just bought. You sensed I was nervous and kept asking what was I up to. I kept saying nothing but I knew I couldn't keep it from you any longer, I reached into my pocket, my mouth dry and my hands shaking, I pulled out the little red box and got down on one knee. You said yes straight away and this time I was the one crying.

Our wedding day was one of the happiest of my life, watching you walk up the aisle, I couldn't keep the smile of my face you made me the proudest man alive. We danced the night away as if no one else was there. We were so happy. The night seemed to go so quickly I wanted it to last forever. Family and friends enjoying themselves drinking and dancing, wherever I looked I saw smiling faces, and then there was you, making your way around the room making sure you spoke to everyone, I watched you the happiest, proudest man in the world. You fell asleep in my arms that night in the hotel room and I watched you all night not believing you were mine and I was yours. The honeymoon was walks along beaches and dinner just the two of us we were so happy back then.

We were blessed a few years later with a beautiful baby boy. You took to motherhood like you were born for it and had been waiting for this moment all your life. Me? I was to nervous to change a nappy but you held my hand and showed me how to do it. We were the happiest family I knew. I used to fall asleep reading the bed time stories and you used to come and wake me up and tell me off. We took him for walks and I played football with him in the garden whilst you sat and watched, occasionally you would join in as well.

Today is our 15th wedding anniversary and I just wanted to tell you how much I love you. Except I cant as your not here anymore. Its been a month now since it happened. The night they came to tell me you had been taken from me. You were on your way home and I had missed your call, I had fallen asleep again reading the bedtime story. They said you didn't suffer, that was a small comfort for me, you didn't see the car coming it was all over so quick. I still listen to your message every day, it says your on your way home and you love me. There will never be another for me, no one to replace you, today when I finally say goodbye to you, when I place the rose on your coffin, remember this, I was lucky to have you and I will always love you.

2 comments:

  1. I thought that was impressive. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thanks so much coming from yourself that truly means a lot. There will be more coming over the next few days and weeks. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete