Friday 14 October 2011

Time

Our greatest foe and our greatest friend is time. It can allow us to enjoy moments off pure joy that last a lifetime, it can also take away from us things and people at the cruellest of time. how often do we see or hear of people passing away and we say They've gone too soon', there is nothing sadder than reading of the loss of a child to an illness that cannot be cured and that's happened twice this week.

Our time is precious but do we use it in the right way? How many times have we wished for a day too pass quicker than it should, or hope that a day goes slower than we know it will. There are no time machines to take us back and allow us too correct a wrong. Life isn't like that.

You get one shot at it, one go, nothing more, nothing less. Why spend that time wishing for a meeting too finish, or the ring of a bell to signal the end of the school day. Why spend it wishing for something you know you cannot change. If I have learnt anything this past few months it's that wanting things to change that can't be changed is wasted energy. It's all about the now and making memories and the most of what we have around us.

I won't be able to go back in time and see my Nan just one last time, to take back the harsh words I said to my Mum as a teenager and not make her cry, I won't be able to go back and unhurt the people I hurt or who have hurt me. I won't be able to grab chances that came my way and I didn't have the courage too take them. It's gone, it's history all of it.

Just like Jack Marshall's parents and Harry Moseley's parents can't bring back their precious children who passed away this week from brain tumours. The one thing that these families taught me more than anything else is that the time we have is precious and we need to make the most of it. We need to make memories that will last a lifetime and cherish the people who are closest too us. To take opportunities that come our way and not live a day with regret.

I never met these boys, I've only known about them through twitter. Having children myself of a similar age to these brave boys has taught me not to take them for granted. They have also taught me that time is our greatest friend when we realise what we have. To those two boys and their families I wish you peace and know that perhaps just a little bit, by sharing your sons stories you made people aware of just how precious time with a loved one really is.

3 comments:

  1. Very nicely put Mr H.
    I've spent most of this week having a rubbish time at work and coming home every day saying "one day closer to retirement" - your words are a timely reminder that I shouldn't be wishing my life away - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine died unexpectedly this week, and it did make me realise that we can never know how much time we each have left to enjoy life. A very important message in this post, and thank you for posting it at such an appropriate time for me to read. We should live in the now, the present. Though, it's very easy to slip back, or dream forward, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people say that that you need to grab what you can out of life and enjoy every moment! To me I think its a case of trying to be responsible more now with the time that I have. I could party party but would it achieve anything and not really have to worry about anything.. But if I were to think about time more and what it meant to each generation.. Are parents had the right time in their lives to see and experience more as well as the £ in the generation of 30-40s presently its had its problems, but this next generation of kids 15-20s I really do feel sorry for them, they have all the time in the world but without the finance to enjoy it with. They live in a Ninja economy : No Income, No Job, no Assets. What fun can they really have?

    Regards

    ReplyDelete