Tuesday 5 October 2010

The Ten Most Important Songs In My Life

Ive had such a stressful, upsetting, hurtful three weeks that I needed something to cheer me up. I needed to get away from being people's emotional helper from being their punching bag because I wouldn't do what they wanted me to do. So I turned too music and thought about happy things. This then lead onto a new blog about the 10 most important songs in my life and the way they relate to events that have happened in my life. So starting at number 10 and working downwards I shall begin.

Number 10- Nessun Dorma by Pavarotti

I hear this and goose bumps pop up, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and there I am back Italia 1990. I had never heard any Classical music before and this was just so powerful. A fantastic record that launched Pavarotti into the main stream and stayed at Number 1 in the UK for a few weeks. It still gets me even now and I listen to it when I'm a little down a superb record.

Number 9- Land Of Make Believe by Bucks Fizz

This was one of the first records I ever bought. I played it time and time again. I knew the words of by heart and yes, even now I can still sing it from start to finish when I hear the start of it. It struck a cord with me, it was a song about dreaming and being what you want to be a really catchy record.

Number 8- Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince

This is probably the most chilled out record about Summer you will ever hear. Will Smith hit the big time with this as The Fresh Prince, the name he used for his television programme at the time. Its about being young and hanging out with a slow beat and a really good rap. It reminds me of summers in my mates cars with this playing, the window open, the sun shining, and just hanging out. Life was so much simpler then than it is now.

Number 7- Red Strokes by Garth Brooks

The first time I ever heard a modern Country and Western song. Garth Brooks on the Des O'Connor Tonight Show in a red and black checked shirt, a huge stetson and a piano. I laughed at him, and then he started to play and sing. That was it, I was hooked and a love of Country music was born that lasts until this day.

Number 6- Nobody Else by Take That

My wedding dance song. Take That had announced they were splitting up and this song was never realised as a single. I wanted something different for our first dance and the start of the song talks about old friends and how they are the only two together and that struck a cord with me. Out of all the friends we had made when we first met we were the only two still together. We had lasted whilst others had fallen by the wayside and the words rang so true. This record holds very special memories for me.

Number 5- You Want To Make A Memory by Bon Jovi

Reece was born the year this came out and it was a much more mellower Album from Bon Jovi after the hard rocking Have A Nice Day album from 2 years before. I used to sing this when he was a baby and it was just me and him doing the night time feeds. He used to lay there in my arms as I played it and sang along. Fantastic memories that will last a life time.

Number 4- Captain Crash And The Beauty Queen From Mars by Bon Jovi

Michael used to walk into everything or knock everything over when he first started walking. I used to call him Captain Crash from this song. He used to smile at me and laugh when I called him it and its sort of stuck. Like a little in joke between me and him. It was also the first song Bon Jovi played when I went to see them at Southampton on a wonderful warm summers night in 2007 the year Reece was born so again holds special memories for me for two reasons.

Number 3- You Are Beautiful by Christina Aguilera

The Number 1 song the day Grace was born. A really beautiful record and so apt for the birth of my second daughter.I went out and bought it on CD single and I still have it. Its the only record of hers I have ever bought as well. I played it all the time to Grace as a baby as well and watched as she smiled when I did. Happy memories.

Number 2- Its My Life by Bon Jovi

The number 1 album when Laura was born and the first Album by Bon Jovi in many years. I played this to death when it came out. It was the summer of 2000 England beat Germany in the Euros, the first time in many years. It was one of the hottest summers we had had in many years as well. The start of a new millennium, and the start of my family.

Number 1-Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers

This was the song at the end of the film that was the first date I went on with the most important person in my life. The one who changed me, the one who loves me no matter what, the one I couldn't live without. My wife. It came from the film Ghost and is one of my favourite records of all time. Its our song and will always bring back the happiest memories for me as I reflect on happier times.

So there you are then the Ten most important songs in my life. They all have special memories for me, each of them unique and each of them special in their own way. I listen to these songs more than any other. These are the memories I want in the dark times Ive had recently, these are the songs that have got me through one of the toughest times of my life. Only my wife knows all of the story, and some of my true friends and I thank them for their support and help.

Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment