Monday 6 December 2010

Sammy The Elf Week 10

Hi Sammy here. Well after being arrested last week for the murder of the Penguin King. We are about tom stand trail for something we didn't do. Here is my dairy I hope you enjoy it. Love Sammy xx

Friday 19th November

We spent the night in a cell in the bottom of the Police Station. It was cold and damp and we weren't quite sure what was going too happen too us. After Paul had arrested us yesterday morning we had been brought straight here. A large Penguin dressed in a Policeman's hat had told us when we arrived that we would be going too court on Monday morning where we would stand trail for the murder of the Penguin King. Shocked and frightened we were taken downstairs, down a black steel staircase, the walls were pure white and the light flickered as we walked. None of us said anything we were too frightened of what had happened. A smaller Penguin with a policeman's hat on stopped us as we came to a large grey metal door, placed his key in the lock and slowly turning the brass handle pulled the door towards us. He nodded for us to go inside and we did. It was very sparse, there were bunk beds on one wall and a single bed against the other wall. They were covered with grey sheets and the pillows were white. They didn't look very comfortable but they would be were we would spend the night.
"This is where you will be staying whilst your trail is being conducted" he closed the door behind him as he said it with a loud thud and we could hear the key being turned in the lock. We stood there for what felt like ages but was probably only a few moments, staring at each other. I could feel tears starting too fill up in my eyes as I worried about what would happen too us.
"Sammy don't you dare!" Jack said sharply. "Yes we are in a mess but you going too pieces now wont help any of us. You are what has kept us going all these weeks and we have been in just as tricky situations as this and won. We shall do again" His face was stern and he meant every word.
I wiped my arm across my face wiping away the few tears that I had allowed too form.
"Yes of course, your right, now then lets work on a plan too get us out of this then" I smiled

Saturday 20th November

Today passed quite quickly to be honest. The food was what can only be described as awful. It was fish and it was cold. Well I suppose we were being fed by Penguins. The large Policeman who we found out was called Peter had brought us in a few puzzles and books too help pass the time. I got the impression that he was a little unsure about the allegations that had been levelled against us but there wasn't a lot he could do apart from do his job. He told us that was had a visitor that was waiting to see us but wouldn't tell us who and that we would have too wait until tomorrow before we could see him. Was it Frank? Tomorrow couldn't come soon enough

Sunday 21st November

We were woken up early this morning and told that our visitor would be here shortly and we would be taken to another room where we would meet them. I so hoped it would be Frank as did Jack and Tommy. When the smaller Policeman came to get us he took us to a room along the corridor from where we were being held. He opened the wooden door and told us too wait inside. The room had a long dark wooden table and around it were 6 grey plastic chairs. We sat there looking at each other not sure what was going too happen next. Suddenly the door sprung open and there standing in front of us was Frank. I have never been happier too see anyone in all my life. I rushed towards him as did the others and he scooped us up and gave us a huge hug. The tears started too flow now, I couldn't stop them. After a few moments he let us go and told us too take a seat at the table. There was a Penguin standing next to him wearing a blue tie, we hadn't noticed him at first and now we were a little weary of him.
"Boys its okay" Frank said "This man here is Mr McCoy and he will help you get of off this ridiculous charge" Frank turned and waited for Mr McCoy too start speaking
"Hello Boys, well this isn't going to be easy but I'm sure when the truth comes out people will see how ridiculous this has been. Now then who wants to tell me whats been going on?"
Jack and Tommy looked straight at me. I stared back but knew it would have to be me to tell Frank and Mr McCoy. I sat there and told them everything that had happened since we had arrived. They didn't say anything they just sat there and listened. When I had finished Frank turned to Mr McCoy and spoke first.
"Well what do you think?" He asked
"Its not going to be easy that's for sure, but I believe them. Why would kill the Penguin King it doesn't make sense. Okay boys now listen, tomorrow I will meet you in the court house and I will go through everything I need to do. This isn't going to be easy but I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I think we can use. Leave it with me and Ill see you in the morning" With that he got up from the table and walked towards the door. He stopped knocked once and as it opened he walked through it and watched as the door was closed behind him.
"Sammy did you you give the Penguin King the letter?" Frank asked
"No, he asked if I had it but he didn't ask to see its contents. Why?" I asked unsure of the importance of this letter
"Where is it now?" He asked gently
"At the house under my bed. Whats so important about the letter?" I was nervous now
"Nothing for you to worry about just yet. Now I must be going as well" He got up and waited until we had all stood up so as he could give us all another huge hug.
"Boys listen to me, you didn't do this and Mr McCoy knows that as well which is why he has agreed too help. Its not going to be easy but with that letter we can prove you didn't do it. Now I must go and get the letter and make sure Mr McCoy has it for when he needs it. Ill see you all in the morning boys. Sleep well you are going too need it" With that he left the room as well, leaving us alone once again.

Monday 22nd November

Today was the day that we stood trail for the murder of the Penguin King. A crime we didn't commit. A crime we had been accused of wrongly. This would be the start of the longest week of our lives. We arrived at court early and waited downstairs in a little room for when it was time for us to be called to the courtroom. Mr McCoy had told us that we only needed too talk when we were spoken too and that we should always tell the truth no matter who it hurt. We all nodded in silent agreement too scared to say anything else. We were led upstairs when the time came and as we walked up the steps into the dock we could see all of the Penguins waiting and straining to catch a look at us. The room that was very impressive, there was a large wooden desk where we were told the judge sat, two wooden benches to the right where we were told the jury would sit. High above us was a gallery full too the brim with Penguins, and there right at the front was Frank. He gave us a reassuring smile and tried too keep our hopes up but this wasn't going to be easy. We were led to a desk where Mr McCoy was sitting at and he stood so as we could pass along him and sit in the seats next too him. A hush fell across the courtroom as the large door behind the desk opened and a large Penguin in a red robe and a white wig made his way to the desk. As he sat down he lent forward looking at us, trying too work out if we were really the ones that had been accused. He lifted up a small hammer and banged it on his desk.
"This court is now in session" He bellowed. "How do the guilty plead?"
Mr McCoy rose to his feet "Not Guilty Your Honour" He replied.
"Very well" he turned to the other desk and looked at the other penguin who sat there. We hadn't noticed him as we came in. He was dressed in a very smart grey jacket and as he rose too speak he placed his hands on the desk.
"Your Honour, the three boys there are accused of the worst crime ever committed in this kingdom. They are accused of the murder of the King. I will prove this beyond doubt" And with that he sat back down.
"Very well Mr Johnson, please call your first witness" and so it began.

Tuesday 23rd November

The previous day flashed passed us in a whirl. I tried to remember all that had happened the day before as we sat next to Mr McCoy as the judge continued speaking. It was all happening far too fast for any of us too keep up. Penguin after Penguin got up and took the stand saying all sorts of horrible things about us. Some we had met but others we didn't even know. They sat there saying they had either seen us climbing up the mountain or that they had heard us plotting the murder of the King. It was all lies of course but there was nothing we could  do yet. It wasn't our turn. Mr McCoy tried his best too discredit them but it was getting harder and harder for us too prove it wasn't us. The Judge seemed too agree with everything that he was being told, when clearly it was not true. Our time would come tomorrow!.

Wednesday 24th November

It was decided that I would take the stand on behalf of the three of us. I was told that I was the one that could hold it together better and any sign of tears from the others would make us look more guilty than we were. As I took those steps my legs felt like they were turning into jelly but I knew I had too hold it together. I sat in the large leather chair and waited for Mr McCoy to ask me some questions. It hadn't gone well so far, and I knew it was now down to me to make it right. To prove we weren't the killers of the King and also too make sure that whoever had done this was found guilty of it.
"Sammy" Mr McCoy stood in front of me now ready too ask me some questions. "Can you tell us how you came to be at the mountain that day?"
I swallowed hard this was it this was my time to make these people believe that it wasn't me.
"The King asked us too meet him there" I replied softly
"Speak up boy I cant here you" The Judge was leaning across and staring right at me.
I swallowed again and repeated what I had said.
"Why did he do that?. I mean it seems a strange place too want to meet isn't it?" Mr McCoy was walking around the courtroom as he spoke
"He said that there was a threat to the Kingdom and that he needed my help"
"Did you not think that was a strange request?"
"I did at first but Ive seen many strange things on this journey and Ive learnt to just go with it now. He seemed genuinely worried about what it was so I decided to help where I could"
"So he didn't tell you?"
"No he didn't"
"Did you have any idea at all what it was?"
"No"
"What happened when you got there?"
"I could hear voices talking on top of the mountain. One I knew was the Kings, the other I think I recognised but I'm not sure"
"You think you recognised?"
"Yes"
"Would you like too say who it was?"
"Not at this time no because I don't make false accusations unlike some people" I looked around the court room as I said it
"Very well, what happened next?"
"The King said that the person wouldn't win, they said they would and then a shot rang out. I waited a few moments and then climbed up on top of the mountain and there lay the King dead"
A gasp echoed around the courtroom and the Judge banged his hammer on the desk shouting Order!Order as he did so. The courtroom fell silent once again.
"What did you do then?"
I took a deep breath before I continued
"I sat there for most of the day next to the King as darkness fell I covered his body with snow and went back to the house where we were staying. Then Paul and the Police came a  couple of days later and arrested us"
"Sammy thank you for being so honest. Your honour that is all, for now" Mr McCoy sat back down
"Very well its late in the day so we shall begin cross examination tomorrow. Court adjourned" He hit his hammer on the desk again and stood up and left the room.

Thursday 25th November

I took the stand again more nervous than I had been the day before. Mr McCoy had told me he would help me as much as he could but it was down to me too hold it together once again. I sat there nervously as the Penguin stood before me just like Mr McCoy had done the day before only this time he didn't appear to be as friendly.
"Sammy my name is Mr Johnson. Are you okay too continue?"
It seemed a strange question to start with but I nodded.
"Very well. Can you tell me why the King seemed too trust you and not the Queen or Paul?"
"I don't know I cant answer that"
"He seemed too spend a lot of time talking too you didn't he?"
"Yes he did"
"Why was that?"
"He was friends with Frank and Ellie"
"Ah yes Frank and Ellie. The people that took you in when you were kidnapped in Ireland. Correct?"
"Yes"
"The same people that gave you a letter to give to the Penguin King. Correct?"
"How did you know about the letter?"
"Its my job to know about these things Sammy. Now then didn't that letter contain a threat too the King?"
"I don't know. I never read it"
"You never read it?"
" No I didn't"
"Why not?"
"It wasn't addressed to me"
"Okay then so you say you didn't know what was in the letter. What did the King say too you when he summoned you too the Palace on the day he died?"
"He told me he was being threatened"
"Isn't it true that it was you who were threatening him?"
"Objection" Mr McCoy was on his feet now.
"Sustained" replied the Judge
"I shall rephrase your honour. Isn't it true that the contents of that letter threatened the Kings life?"
"I don't know I never read it"
"But you gave it too the King didn't you?"
"No. He asked if I had it and I said yes. He then told me about a letter he had received from someone threatening him"
"Did he say who this other letter was from?"
"No he was going too tell me on top of the mountain but he never got the chance did he!"
"Very well lets talk about the day he died shall we?. You say you heard voices at the top of the mountain. What did they say?"
" I told MrMcCoy yesterday"
"That you did. You see though Sammy, I don't get it. A boy appears out of nowhere. Makes friends with the King and then in a few days he is dead"
"I didn't kill him"
"So you say. However it looks very suspicious doesn't it? I mean a boy and his friends meet the King who then ends up dead. What would you think Sammy?"
"Objection" Mr McCoy was on his feet again.
"Sustained" the Judge replied
"Okay I have no further questions for now your honour. I would like to call Paul the Kings butler to the stand please"
"Its getting late we shall reconvene tomorrow morning at 9am" He once again banged his hammer on his desk and rose from the bench.
This wasn't over yet. Not by a long shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment