Thursday 28 October 2010

Sammy The Elf Week 6

Hi and welcome too week 6. Just a little recap before I tell you what has happened this week. After escaping from Carl we ran for ages finally ending up at a farm run by a lovely couple called Frank and Ellie. They looked after us and made us feel very welcome. Oh nearly forgot they also have three Dragons that talk as well. So here we go for this week then. Enjoy it Love Sammy x.

Friday 22nd October

I hardly slept last night. This was all too weird for me. I mean I know I'm an Elf and all that goes with that and some people might find that very weird, but talking Dragons? Come on even that was a strange one even by my standards. I thought back to the conversation I had with Frank and that he had said I could ask the Dragons how they had come to be living here but I wasn't sure I wanted to. What if I found out that they were being kept here against their will? How would I feel then about Frank and Ellie? I had enough problems at the minute without adding to them. However the biggest problem I had was I stuck here so I had to go and do something I didn't want to in case it turned out the wrong way, so I prepared for bad news got up, got dressed and made my way to the barn. As I got there i saw the door slightly opened and walked towards it. I could hear voices inside talking softly. I got as close as I could without hopefully being seen and listened closely at the conversation going on inside.
"Master the boy has to know" there was an urgency in Kai's voice as he said it.
"Kai he cant know, not yet not now, it would be too much for him, he must complete his journey first" Frank was trying not too shout as he said it.
"Its not fair to let him know, he has been through enough already"
"Don't you think I know that, don't you think that if I could tell him I would" there was a sadness too his voice now.
"Then what do you suggest we do? Keep it from him until its too late"
"Of course not" Frank snapped back "But now is not the time Kai you must see that?, We have to make sure he completes his journey, only then will he know the truth, if I tell him now he wont finish it and that will be a disaster and you know that"
"Yes of course your right, now is not the time. What do we do then?" Kai had changed the tone in his voice slightly
"We carry on as we planned, Sammy and his friends must be gone from here by the end of the week" Frank started to walk towards where I was standing, I could hear his footsteps coming closer.
"Very well, we shall make plans" Kai said this softly as if he wasn't sure this was going to work.
My mind started too race at what I needed to know. What could it be? I knew one thing though I couldn't be found here, not now. It was time to wake the others.

Saturday 23rd October

We haven't progressed to flying the Dragons yet, which to be honest probably suits Tommy a little. He still cant sit still on Lis, the blue Dragon without falling of after a few steps. Lis was starting to get the hump with Tommy now and every now and then she would let Tommy have a little blast on his bum with some fire. Not enough to hurt him but just enough to let him know she was getting the hump. Tommy kept moaning and we tried to have sympathy for him but it was funny too watch. Jack and Vie were getting on great and they were itching too fly. Me, all I could think about was the conversation I had heard yesterday and why Frank and Ellie had kept three Dragons in their shed. I decided tomorrow I would find out the truth.

Sunday 24th October

I got up before everyone else this morning and crept out the house. I quickly made my way across the freshly cut grass and headed towards the barn. I slowed down as I reached the door, not sure whether it was open or not. Thankfully this time it wasn't. I slowly lifted the latch and crept inside. Kai was awake and standing up, as if he was expecting me, the other two were sound asleep.
"Good morning Sammy" Kai talked softly as if he didn't want to wake the others up.
"Good Morning Kai" I replied as softly as I could.
"I suppose you have some questions which is why you are here?" He tilted his head to one side as he said it and I nodded back, the redness of his colour looked a lot darker in the gloom of the barn than when we were outside.
"Not here, I don't want to wake the others. tomorrow and Tuesday we will be showing you how to fly, when the time is right I shall take you away from here so as we can talk, is that okay?"
"Yes" I replied nervously.
"Very well, go back to the house and have breakfast, when its time I shall make sure we are alone" he moved his head towards the door and I turned and raced back to the house as quickly as I could.
Ellie was in the kitchen making breakfast. It smelt so good, bacon and eggs with freshly made tea and toast. The others were already up and eating as quickly as they could. No one spoke a word, when we had all finished we raced across the grass towards the barn, Frank following us and telling us too slow down, we reached the barn and lifted the latch and all raced in too see our Dragons. Kai winked at me as if to say he had a plan, I smiled back excited as to what awaited me.
Frank disappeared into the back of the barn and came out holding something in his hands. We all watched as he started to fasten it to Lis. Then we all fell about laughing, we all of us apart from Tommy.
"I'm not sitting in that" he yelled.
"Oh yes you are" said Frank
"No I'm not" yelled Tommy
"Then stay here" Frank said calmly
Tommy knew this was a fight he couldn't win and begrudgingly he climbed up onto Lis. When he was safely in his seat Frank started to fasten the straps. His face was a picture. Frank had made him what looked like a high chair. It had seat belts and all sorts of straps holding Tommy in place to make sure he didn't fall out of it. Tommy had the right hump but knew he had to use it because it was the only way he could stay on Lis. It worked as well. He didn't fall of once and Lis seemed much more happier than she had been, well Tommy didn't keep falling off and leaving bruises on her neck. The Dragons started to run around the fields with us now, and started to jump little fences as well. We were getting closer and closer to the day we flew and closer and closer to the day I found out the big secret.

Monday 25th October

With Tommy strapped in, Jack and me holding tightly onto the reins the Dragons started to run across the fields, only this time they leaped up into the air. It took my breath away. I watched as the ground below me disappeared and we went higher and higher into the sky. I could feel the wind blowing around me and we swooped through the clouds. I lent forward so as my head rested on Kai's cold scaly neck and felt him breathing slowly and softly as if this was no effort to him at all. We carried on flying higher and higher occasionally making low dives but making sure we kept sight of the others around us. Jack had a huge grin on his face, he was enjoying this as much as I was, whilst Tommy had a green look about his face. Knowing he was strapped in Lis every now and then would roll over so Tommy was upside down. Kai kept telling her off but she couldn't resist. I think this was payback for all of the bruises Tommy had given her over the past week.

Tuesday 26th October

As we took off flying today Kai nodded at Frank. Frank nodded back. I don't think they thought that I had seen this but I knew what this meant. Today I was going to find out what the secret was. We flew up high into the air and started to drift away from the others. They didn't say anything so I guess they knew as well. I would have to explain to Tommy and Jack later but for now I needed too keep calm. My mind raced with what it could be. Kai flew higher than normal and I could see the clouds below us. The sun was beating down on me and once again I lent forward and rested my head on Kai's neck. I felt very safe with him, it was like we were connected somehow, I couldn't explain it, it just felt right. Kai started to dive through the clouds and below I could see mountains below us. Kai looked for a clearing and gently touched down when he found one. He waited for a moment for me to get off him and then lay down on the ground placing his head on the floor. It seemed like he was listening for something, perhaps making sure that we were all alone. He lifted his head up and stood there in front of me, his enormous frame almost filling up the ledge that we stood on. He placed his large wings against his side and then looked me straight in the eye.
"Well young Sammy, I suppose its time for me answer some of your questions isn't it?" He smiled gently as he said it.
All sorts of thoughts started too race through my mind, where did I start, what question did I ask first, I couldn't get my thoughts together.
"Take your time Sammy, ask whatever comes into your mind first" He was trying too reassure me and make me feel better.
"Okay, well first of all how come Dragons actually exist?" I asked
He let out a soft laugh, I suppose this wasn't the question he had been expecting first.
"Well we have always been here Sammy, its just no one has ever bothered too look for us"
"What do you mean?" I asked
"Sammy humans think we died out centuries ago, if they even believe we existed. We have always been here. We mainly fly at night though so as no one sees us. We live in the deepest darkest part of the forests or the most barren deserts, places the humans rarely go" His voice was soft and reassuring
"So how come you live with Frank?" I asked
He thought for a moment before he answered. I waited impatiently for him to give me the reply but I didn't want to rush him.
"Frank is special to us, far more special than any of the humans will ever know. A few people know who he really is and I'm afraid if you want to know that part of the story you will have to ask him yourself. However what I can tell you is our part of the story. We came under attack many years ago from Leprechauns who wanted to use us for their own means. We were caught and refused too help them so they chained us up here where we stand now. They left us for many years hoping too break our spirit and make us follow them but we refused. We are peaceful creatures, yes we can breathe fire but that is our only defence against those that attack us. The head of this particular group of Leprechauns was called Carl. He tried many things to break us but we wouldn't do as he said. In the end he left us here too starve. We were close to death when Frank arrived one day. He had found out we were here and had decided to offer us his help. He freed us and promised too protect us from Carl. He always told us that one day a young Elf would come and he would need our help, we weren't too sure whether too believe him or not but he fed us and made sure we got back to health. He even allowed us to fly again. Then last week you arrived and it seemed he had been telling the truth along." Kai looked at me not sure how I would react to what he had just told me.
It sounded so unreal, so unlikely but it had to be true didn't it? I wasn't so sure what I did know though was that I trusted Kai and I also trusted Frank and Ellie, so I guess then I had to be believe what I had just been told, no matter how strange it sounded.
"Kai I believe you, as hard as its been you and the others have done nothing to make me doubt you"
"Thank you Sammy" He lowered his head to the floor and I went up to him and threw my arms around his neck. His skin was cold on face but I didn't worry, he was my friend now and I needed as many as I could get.

Wednesday 27th October

I told Jack and Tommy everything as we lay in bed that night. They couldn't believe what they were hearing. Jack found it very hard as I told him about what Carl and done to the Dragons. He went very quiet and pretended to be asleep but I knew he wasn't, I watched him lay there silently as Tommy snored beside me. It must have been very hard for Jack, in the space of a few weeks we had changed everything that he thought he knew. Everyone he thought he could trust we had shown him that it had all been a pack of lies. I couldn't begin to imagine what he must have been going through. I decided it was best to leave him for a while until he felt ready to talk to me. A part of what Kai had told me was bugging me though. What was Frank hiding? I was sure it wasn't anything bad but all the same I wanted too know. Tomorrow I would get Frank alone and ask him outright. I had to know what was really going on.

Thursday 28th October

I waited until we had returned from flying the Dragons before I spoke to Frank. Tommy was beginning too like the flying part although he was till strapped into his special chair and Lis was still flying him upside down whenever she got the chance. Jack was still very quiet as well and Vie had noticed as well. He had tried to talk to him but Jack wouldn't answer. I was beginning too really worry about him. After was had left the Dragons for the night Jack and Tommy raced on ahead, the smell of Ellie's cooking wafted through the air. It smelt extremely good again, she was a wonderful cook and as much as I liked her food I knew that our time here would come to an end sooner than we wanted it too. Frank could see something was on my mind and he walked slowly beside me as we walked back towards the house.
"Everything okay Sammy?" He placed his hand on my shoulder as he spoke as if to reassure me.
"Kai told me how you helped him yesterday"
"Does that trouble you?" He asked stopping in front of me
"No, no not at all, I'm really pleased he has found someone who cares about him and the others, its just he told me something else as well, he told me that if I wanted to know I had to ask you" I looked him in the eyes as I said it trying to get his reaction. To my surprise he smiled back at me
"Well then I guess it is time I told you everything Sammy. Not here though lets get more comfortable and wait until we are back at the house. We will have some dinner and I will ask Ellie to make us a couple of her famous Hot Chocolate's and we will sit out on the porch and I will tell you it all, right from the start." He smiled again as he said it
"Okay, but we will shake on it" I held out my hand like a grown-up
"Very well then Sammy" Frank took my hand and shook it tightly. "Now then I guess you are hungry?"
I nodded
"Then what are we waiting for" He smiled and started of back towards the house.
I followed him stride for stride. I hoped tonight I get some answers. We didn't speak as we walked back the night sky was lit up by the moon shining down on us and the air was clear and crisp. It was such a peaceful night. The calmness in the air that was quite comforting. After all I had been through recently it was nice to not have to worry about anything.
"AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH" The scream pierced through the night sky. I stopped quickly looking at Frank to see if it was him.
Frank started to run towards the house as fast as he could. He realised that, that was where the sound had come from.
"Elllllliiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee" The sound came from deep within him as I watched him run faster and faster towards the house. I stood there frozen to the stop, not knowing what to do. Then all of a sudden I could feel my legs moving faster and faster beneath me and I realised I too was running towards the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment